August 16, 2009

Rotation Woes

In early March, I stated "if Baker, Liriano, Perkins, Slowey and Blackburn can provide a stable rotation, I think we [the MN Twins; yes I am an integral member of the organization] got the division locked up." Here's where things stand in mid August (stats from MLB):
  • Baker: 10W-7L 4.54 ERA .283 OBA 140.2 IP
  • Liriano 5W-11L 5.39 ERA .350 OBA 125.1 IP
  • Perkins: 6W-7L 5.89 ERA .341 OBA 96 IP
  • Slowey: 10W-3L 4.86 ERA .340 OBA 90.2 IP
  • Blackburn: 8W-7L 3.99 ERA .330 OBA 146.2 IP
Slowey is out for the rest of the season (bone chips in right wrist) and Perkins is on the 15-Day DL (left shoulder tendinitis). The result: the Twins are 6 games back and fading fast. We have lost three consecutive series against Cleveland, Detroit and Kansas City. The loss of Slowey may prove to be the turning point in the season. (Earlier in the season, he appeared to be the second coming of Brad Radke, one of my all-time favorite Twins.) Pavano was a solid mid-season pickup, but there is no one to fill the fifth position (Swarzak?: 3W-6L 5.87 ERA 53.2 IP 3.65 OBA). Not to mention what a disappointment Liriano has been. So much for my spring training prediction!

1 comment:

Marye said...

I'm so glad you are blogging :) I added a link to our blog roll and will be checking back for your stories and pictures. See you in a few weeks!